Saturday, September 11, 2010

Upside down tomato plant

On May 30, my wife's niece Ivy planted a single tomato plant in the bottom of a recyclable grocery bag with a small hole cut in the bottom and filled with dirt. I took some pictures along the way. I think it was a Roma variety of some sort. I ate a few of them, even though tomatoes are really not on my diet. My wife ate the rest of them except for a couple that were given away. They were pretty good. Two to three ounces each.

My wife watered them most days when it didn't rain. We gave them a little fertilizer at the start of the year.

By the way, in case you did not know you can click on the picture to zoom in, and click again to zoom in even more.

6-11-10
6-19-10

7-11-10 You can see some small green tomatoes here along with some additional blossoms.
8-1-10 Lots of green ones now.
8-1-10 The first usable one. There were two others that ripened a day or so previous to this photo but they had blossom rot. Those were the only two that had blossom rot. It's sitting on top of a 4X4 post here.
8-14-10
8-25-10 All from the one plant.
8-28-10 Closing in on the end of the season.
9-11-10 Pretty much done. Don't know if these will ripen or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is kind of sad that you show that I let it go....