Monday, March 28, 2011

Rock Cut State Park 3-27-11

GPS track.

This is my sketch on the park's trail map. Note all the internal roads. It looks like we probably took the loop into the woods and than a trail not shown on the map after coming out near the power lines. I am pretty sure the trails I marked are the ones we were actually on. But they don't conform real close to the GPS track in a few places. My guess is the trail map is off a bit here and there. It is probably more diagrammatic in nature rather than trying to be a perfect map. It is OK for the trails it actually shows.


According to my GPS trip computer, 4.3 miles. The GPS track log says it was 5.3. I am betting the trip computer is closer. But no way for me to know for sure. The topo map is just plain wrong through. Perryville Road is pretty much straight north and south, not curved in as is shown on the map. I never crossed over Perryville, although I did go right along side it. At one point I was maybe 20 or 30 feet away and about 30 feet above it. I could have just walked down the embankment to the road. The topo map shows the park extending to the west of Perryville, but it actually just stops at the edge of Perryville.

The roads shown inside the park on the topo map are incomplete. We parked by the route 173 entrance (West Lane Road on the map). There is a north south road through the park that is just missing altogether from the map.

On the bright side. It was a nice day out and we had a nice hike. I had never hiked in this section of the park before. The trail we took into the wooded area in the NW corner of the park is not on the trail map, but it is clearly well used. A great forest path.

We saw 5 turkeys in the horse camp area, and saw turkey prints in the mud while walking on the trail.

At one point in the video I think I make a statement that while there is a lot of elevation changes that I dd not think the highest spot was more than 100 feet above the lowest spot where we hiked. Th GPS log says the low spot was about 720 feet, and the high about 850. I was not real far off.

No comments: