Friday, July 2, 2010

My Review of Dual Survival

I finally got around to watching an episode that I had DVR'd. I am not sure if the episode I watched was the first one or not (it was staged as a shipwreck on a snowy and cold island). I was not sure I would like it. Most things on the Discovery channel seem so scripted these days to the point they are no longer reality. Or maybe people just act that way around cameras.

This one had a little of that feel to it, but not as much as I thought it would before I watched it. It is TV after all and the numb nuts that run these things can always find a way to screw up a good idea.

Dave Canterbury was not quite the self assured person that I have grown to enjoy through his Youtube videos. Perhaps he is just a hair camera shy. But he did OK.

Cody Lundin was a big surprise to me. Dave called him a "Bush Hippie" once or twice. The writer that came up with that moniker ought to get an award. I did not think a whole lot of him before watching the show. And when he took his shoes off and wandered around in the snow bare foot and wearing shorts, I thought maybe he was nuts, but other than that he seemed to have solid ideas, and overall I was impressed with him. And the bare feet and shorts did not seem to harm him anyway.

Canterbury hammed up the cold a lot, making a big show of shivering, even though it was only 30 some degrees and he was dressed appropriately for the temperature. They also had Dave run off in the dark with a makeshift torch on a wild goose chase to check some traps. I doubt he would be dumb enough to do that except for it being a TV show.

I was impressed that TDC allowed Dave to kill, skin, cook, and eat a porcupine on TV. They did not show all the gory details, but they showed enough of them.

It's good enough I will probably watch it some more.

No comments: