Saturday, November 20, 2010

Kinnikinnick Creek 11-20-10

ETA: Our previous visit

Today we went to Boone county to the Kinnikinnic Creek conservation area to hike the horse trail.

I wanted to hike another trail there that I am told is especially nice but is not shown on the trail map. Despite not being on the trail map there actually is a trail head sign for it. I wonder why it is not shown on the trail map. I am told the trail goes for about 3/4 of a mile and then just stops and you either have to bushwhack it for a couple hundred yards or turn around and go back. In any case, it got too late to try that trail. It will be something for another day.

We started at the horse parking area and followed the horse trail around the perimeter of the park in a CCW direction. It took us just over 2.5 hours to hike the 3.5 miles. Lots of elevation changes. It's almost constantly going either up or down. But I like that kind of hiking. I am not there to go as far as I can as fast as I can. Just out to get some exercise, fresh air, and some time to clear my head out.




BTW, I told my wife about the dog we saw running in the park. She said she saw a dog wearing an orange coat in a car leaving the park with two guys who had orange hats on. So, I guess the dog found his humans, or maybe the humans were just farther down the hiking trail where I could not see them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

best work yet...have to laugh...love the creek!

the beagle!

Jason said...

I ride horseback routinely in this park. Unleashed dogs are a serious problem; horses spook easily. I personally witnessed an eighteen year old gal get hurt when she was tossed from her spooked horse. If you check the park rules, horse trails are for horses only and people trails are for people only.

ilbob said...

I am not a fan of unleashed dogs. as for hikers on the horse trails, what the rules actually say is this:

Equestrians shall:
•Stay on designated trails only and stay to the right when passing oncoming users.
•Slow to a walk on meeting other riders and hikers


If hikers were not allowed on the horse trails, one would think that would be explicitly in the rules somewhere and there would be no need for a rule requring horse riders to slow down upon meeting a hiker.