Wednesday, November 24, 2010

rock cut state park 11-24-10

I was planning to hike a bit longer but it started to sprinkle on us, so we went back to the car.




It started raining on us while we were out on the trail so I got the orange poncho out of its baggie and put it on. It worked about as well as I expected. It kept the top half of me and my day pack dry. It was not raining real hard so it was not the most stringent of tests.

The hood tore because it was too small to go over my cap. It just barely goes over my head. I guess the hat will have to go over the hood. I also experienced a small tear along one side, and a longer tear on the same side. Neither of these tears ended up being an issue.

My sleeves got wet, but not to the point that it soaked through the nylon. It would have been more of an issue if it had been raining harder, or windier, or I was out in the rain longer.

Overall, I rate it adequate to get me back to the car from out on the trail a mile or so out without getting excessively wet.

It did strengthen my desire to get a real poncho though. This is just not adequate for anything serious.

I taped it back together in case I need it again and have not yet acquired a real poncho.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

More beagle less orange thing (poncho)...

Rain doesn't hurt you...

I am not a "hop a long," I am a beagle who wants to GO!

the beagle...