Sunday, February 13, 2011

rock cut state park 2-13-11

It was nice out so Wilma and I went for a hike in the park. It was a lot more work than normal. Quite a bit of our hike was on packed snow that was melting, so made for tough going. Glad for boots with some decent ankle support and my hiking stick.

Wilma did not seem to care much about the melting snow. She was having too much fun.

We parked by the dam and basicly walked around the lake in a CCW direction.

GPS said 3.77 miles, 1:06 moving and 2:04 stopped. I believe the total time. I don't believe the split between moving and stopped. Not sure how it determines that. I am not real sure about the distance either. We walked CCW around the lake back in October. I think I figured from the map it was close to 5 miles, and today we may have gone a little farther, as we were a little farther from the lake. Maybe I overguessed the distance back in October.

We followed along roads for most of the hike, sometimes walking on the roads, sometimes on trails along side the road. The part I circled with the question mark does not appear to have the trails we followed on the map. Somehow we got from the creek on the east side of the park to the youth camping area through the forest.




On the last leg of our trek, we ran across a man and woman walking a couple of labs. The man asked if we ever walked at Blackhawk Springs FP. I answered that we had - once. He said he thought he remembered seeing us there. I guess a fat guy with a beagle is memorable for some reason.

Also on the last leg of our trek, I drank the last of the water out of my water bladder. That would be 3 quarts in three hours. Even though it was cool, hydration is important.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That guy remembers me from the other park...it's because I am such a cute fit beagle....

Love you,

the beagle!