Friday, December 28, 2012

ICW Boot Update - Heel Replacement

A few weeks ago I began to experience some discomfort after hiking in these boots. I realized eventually my feet were rolling a little because the back of the heels had worn down over time. You can see in these photos just how worn down the back sides of the heels had gotten.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
So I took them in to get the heels replaced. It only cost me $30 and they came out almost like new. The guy had to rebuild the heels and then glue on a new Vibram heel surface. The rest of the surface of the soles were fine so hopefully I will get another few years of service out of them.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The place that did the work is called Charles Street Show Repair in Rockford. About a block west of 20th street in a former gas station. Nothing fancy with the location.

 I took them hiking on 12-27-12. Just 3.5 miles but on a fairly difficult mountain bike trail with lots of elevation changes. The boots worked quite well and no ankle pain.

I also used them on a 5.1 mile hike on 12-28-12. They worked well again in fairly difficult terrain and about a half an inch of new snow.

I have no idea how I managed to wear down the back of one of the heels almost half an inch before noticing it. Having the heels repaired makes a huge difference in comfort.

No comments: