Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Ranger Pac Boots Update

Updates this and this.

And now for the rest of the story.

These boots are lightly constructed in the heel and insole area. It is like a waffle pattern there. Makes for a comfy walk and warm but there is not a whole lot of rubber between the foot and the road.

Towards the end of the cold season in the spring of 2011, both boots sprung a leak in the heel area. It was already warm enough that the snow was melting so there was a fair amount of water, and my feet were getting wet, so I stopped wearing them in favor of my ICW boots.

I had read somewhere that RTV can be used to repair the wear surfaces of shoes and boots, but beyond buying a tube of RTV I did not try to repair these boots until last week.

I know - a year and a half is a long time. I did not attempt the repair at the time and then never got around to it because I was not using them, mostly since I was not wearing them because they leaked.

Here are some pictures I took a few days ago. I put a flashlight inside the boots. You can see the blue light shining through the holes in the heels.
Photobucket

Photobucket
So, I filled in a little inside the waffle matrix where the holes were, and built up the surface of the heels with some RTV. I have tried them a few times and it seems to work OK for the limited use I have put them to. I will have to report back after more extensive usage. The boots are not really suitable for serious use anyway, but they are handy when I go someplace I  have to remove my boots as they come on and off easily. They are also handy for short trips outside like to shovel the porch when I don't want to go to the trouble of putting on and lacing up my other boots.
Photobucket
I did not do a bang up job of it, just kind of globbed it on. We will see over time how well it holds up.
Photobucket

No comments: