Saturday, September 11, 2010

$20 food dehydrator update #3

Update to

Well, the second unit failed in the same way. Its frustrating that a well thought out and simple design like this Harbor Freight dehydrator is destroyed by a poor choice of material for the tray. Why would anyone pick a plastic that melts at such a low temperature for a heating appliance where the plastic is subject to heat?

Here are a few pix of the damage to the trays this time.

 It's going to be returned to Harbor Freight for a refund. I am replacing it with a Nesco unit. $35 from Farm and Fleet. I will post a report as soon as I get a chance to use it.

1 comment:

mrsbb1973 said...

I too had mine do this same thing, it looks like it's the exact same problem. For most of my dehydrates I used a mini fan on top of the unit to encourage drying and not overheating, the one time I didn't, this is what happened. :-(

I am hoping that Harbor Freight will give me a refund.