Saturday, September 18, 2010

Chinese jungle boots - fail


Well, I guess I call this experiment a fail.

Update to

The boots were comfy and held up well except for the soles which wore down very quickly.

I sent the place I got them a message thru the eBay messaging system asking about warranty service on them back on August 19th, but got no response, so sent them an email on August 29th, asking the same thing. I got a response back from "John" suggesting I return them and ended with "i will talk to the oss about what we can possibly do to help you out". Yes, he spelled boss as "oss". Or perhaps the misspelling was to change an 'A' to 'O'. :-)

Not the most encouraging reply, but my experience with surplus dealers is like that of coin and gun dealers. They often act like they are doing you a big favor by selling to you, but in the end they usually take pretty good care of their customers.

My wife dropped them in the mail (priority) 9-15-10. I sent them an email requesting a refund in lieu of exchange. I guess I will wait and see what happens.

[update 10-8-10]
Sent them another email Oct 4 asking about the status. No response.

Sent them an email on Oct 6 and included the tracking information for the returned boots. No response.

So on the afternoon of Oct 7 I called them. The guy who answered the phone said John was out to lunch and took my phone number and promised John would call me.

I was not real surprised he did not call back so I called again this afternoon and talked with John. He agreed to refund me $40 which is about what the boots and shipping cost me, and a few minutes later I got a confirmation from Paypal that $40 had been deposited in my account there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have them resoled.

ilbob said...

resoling is not cheap. just new heels is about $40. new soles is about $80. I can get new boots for $40.