Saturday, March 10, 2012

Morton Safe-T-Pet Ice Melt

A friend of ours gave this to Wilma as a Christmas present. I used it like I would normally salt to melt ice on the porch and in front of the garage door. It seemed to work about as well as regular salt. It was never real cold when I used it so I don't know how well it works at lower temperatures. There is not that much in the container. About enough for 1 and a half uses for me. I was treating maybe 300 SF, so one container would have probably been enough to treat about 500 SF.

The container is like a giant salt shaker so when I used up the blue stuff that came in it, I just refilled it with rock salt from the water store. I had to make the holes in the top bigger as the rock salt crystals are somewhat bigger than what came in the container.

I wondered what was in it and went to the Morton web site to find out.

This is what their web site says about it.

Morton® Safe-T-Pet® Is the Safer Choice for the Pets You Love
Morton® Safe-T-Pet®, Pet Care ice melt was formulated to provide a safer choice for pet parents and enthusiasts who need to manage ice and snow:
• Developed with, and recommended by, Veterinarians.
• 100% salt-free and chloride-free so it won’t irritate pets’ paws.
• Safer for plants, pets and concrete than traditional melting salt.
• Colored blue to provide application visibility.
• Scientifically proven to melt ice and snow in normal winter temperatures (~10°F and above)

The ingredients in Morton® Safe-T-Pet®:
• Urea
• Propylene Glycol


I left the container sitting outside the front door on a table, as that was a convenient place for it. The container apparently did not like the cold and cracked on the bottom, so it ended up in the recycle bin. Odd that a product made for use in cold weather came in a container that fell apart when exposed to the cold.

No comments: