Monday, November 19, 2012

11-19-12 Pecatonica Prairie Path

Wilma and I headed to Sumner Park in Pecatonica to hike out to the part of Pecatonica Wetlands Forest Preserve that is south of the river and can only be reached via hiking there on the path. I kind of had in mind wandering around on the island side of the preserve and maybe walking west on the path, but we never made it to the far SW side of the preserve as we ran into bridge work.

The county is working on the path. I knew they were working on it but did not know they have effectively closed it for now. We were able to get to the SE corner of the preserve but not the other corner.

My understanding is that Stephensen County is taking over the part of the path that is in that county (the preserve lies right along the county line), Winnebago County is taking most of what is in Winnebago County, and the Rockford Park District is taking some of it on the far eastern end of the path.

The part Winnebago County is doing will be crushed stone, and they have laid it down from Pecatonica west to the county line as best I can tell. I read somewhere the park district is going to pave its portion.

I don't recall what Stephensen County will be doing if anything yet - I read somewhere they have no money at present to work on it.

The county has rerouted the path as it goes through the fairgrounds to go along the river instead of under the power lines. A nice choice I think.

The path now goes right by the entrances to the Sumner Nature Preserve. I have seen the sign for it before but figured it didn't amount to much so never bothered to go in. It is considerably bigger than I had figured and with a very nice trail system. A hidden gem. It is well worth the time spent wandering through it. The main trail goes along the winding river the whole way. There are a bunch of side trails, most seem to be for fishing access to the river. We saw no facilties there other than two benches along the trail. GPS track.
Photobucket
Trail map of Pecatonica Wetlands FP with some additions I made.
Photobucket
Plenty of video of the creek beagle in a creek and in the river.

No comments: