Friday, November 30, 2012

County Line Forest Preserve Hike

Wilma and I have been here before. It is a nice hike. County Line is located along the Kishwaukee River between US20 and I39. It takes up almost the whole area there to the Boone County Line. Not quite all the way, but close. The property line is not quite N-S along the eastern border but it goes almost all the way to where the big electric transmission lines are. The boundary there is well marked as it is a farm field and there are signs.

Wilma liked the water. We took what appears to be an old ATV trail and some fire breaks, and bush whacked a little to basically go around the perimeter of the preserve instead of just walking the trail like we did last time. We had to walk through a small creek twice as we followed the ATV trail, but it was not real deep and I had my ICW boots on that are waterproof.

There is what is called a box culvert shown on the map that it appears ATVs used to use. It is a square tunnel about 5 feet square that goes under I39.

We came back through the Boone County Conservation District property. I am not real sure what the name is there. We took the fire break all the way we could to along Newberg Road and then crossed to the trail across the street that I think is in part of LIB conservation Area, but I am not sure that is the name of that area. In any case it is directly west of LIB.

We finished by walking south along Ipsen Road back to the trail head.



ETA 12-3-12
I emailed the Boone County Conservation District and asked. The eastern part of the property south of Newburg Road is Ipsen Road C.A. and the western part is Newburg Village C.A.

I updated my County Line map to show this.


Photobucket

No comments: