Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Annual gun club meeting last night

I am a life member of local gun club. I have been a member since 1982. I went to the annual meeting last night. It might well have been the last annual meeting. I won't bore you with the story, because it's a club matter, but things were bad, and could have gone to much worse if not dealt with in a strong way. I feared that if the club did not get together and deal with a particular problem (a person really) that there just would not be a club much longer.

Well, I have to say I am very, very proud of my fellow club members. They came through and we stood together and dealt with the problem, in a very convincing fashion. I have never seen this many people at the club before. The parking lot was packed and there were cars parked up and down both sides of the street for at least a block in both directions.

The problem was dealt with by a vote of 113 to 34. A complete and utter repudiation of the problem. Without the need for tar and feathers. Roberts Rules of Order was a big part of it, and knowing how to use it to deal with the problem. I never quite appreciated how rules of order like that can actually work to allow people to deal with a problem in an orderly way. It was a good lesson.

I know that just because the biggest impediment was dealt with does not mean it will be smooth sailing down the road, but it was really good to see what can happen when good people stand together. We will have a lot of work to undo the damage already done, but 113-34 is a great way to start that work.

Before the meeting I shot in the weekly bullseye league as I do every week. it was down right cold. There were seven of us. Three of us brought heating pads to set our guns, mags, and ammo on. Much easier to shoot with a warmer gun, and the gun functions a lot better that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad your happy...

Love
Your Beagle