Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bite valve froze up this morning

It was bound to happen. I have been putting my day pack on and walking the dog with the pack on every morning. If nothing else it is a convenient way to carry my water and to get used to the pack. I would almost feel naked without it now.

I realized as it got colder that I might have issues with the bite valve and or drinking tube freezing up so I have been training myself to drain the tube back into the bladder and making sure the bite valve is clear of water so there is nothing to freeze up.

I guess I did not train myself well enough, because the bite valve froze up on me this morning. I was able to unfreeze it by holding it in my mouth for about 30 seconds. Hopefully it is a lesson I won't soon forget.

A vivid illustration of why a metal water bottle or canteen might be a better choice in cold weather than a bladder, as the metal container can be heated up in a fire to melt the water if it freezes. I may have to consider getting some SS bottles for winter hiking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

with all that hot air...how'd it freeze???

the beagle...