Saturday, January 21, 2012

Chinese Snow Gaiters

I got these on eBay. I paid $1 for them, plus $5.59 shipping from Hong Kong. Seller name = topicshop. The item description covers it pretty well.

Brand new and high quality
Made of anti-abrasion, rainproof and anti-wear 300t nylon
Walking waterproof gaiters
Protect your boots and pants from water, rain and mud
Keep you clean, dry and comfortable
Easy to wear and carry
Foldable
Great for walking, hiking, fishing, hunting, and other outdoor activities
Color: black
One size fits most
Material: 300t nylon
Rainproof rating: 3000mm
With nylon drawcord at top and adjustable buckle at bottom
Full length zipper
Length: 40cm
Top circumference: about 52cm
They were shipped from Hong Kong. I don't get how anyone can ship anything from the far east for the price, but somehow they can. IIRC, I got it on 1/10/12. The sale date was 12/22/11.

I have used them a couple of times during snow removal chores. They worked pretty well.


My only real gripe with them is the size. They are advertised as one size fits most. They probably do but by US standards they are just a hair small. They are about 16" high by 20" wide. I am wearing my size 13W ICW boots in this photo. If you look closely you may see that they don't extend the full height up my leg. That is because my boot and calf is more then 20" in circumference. They would work a lot better for me if they were another inch or two wider. That is not the product's fault though. And even not extended all the way up my calf they worked pretty well.

They do seem to be of generally good quality, and they did keep the snow from getting on my pants legs. They did seem to be waterproof as the wet snow did not soak through the nylon. The zipper seemed pretty robust, and the Velcro worked.

There is a draw string at the very top I did not need, along with a piece of elastic at the bottom, and another about ankle high.

The strap under the boot seems pretty sturdy. It took me a while to figure out how best to put them on. It seems to work best to leave the strap connected and just kind of step into it, and then zip it up around your foot.

There is some kind of metal fastener at the bottom. I think it is meant to hook onto your shoelaces, possibly to hold it down to the front of your shoe. It is not the strongest of fasteners and bends easily. I did not even try to use it, as it did not seem necessary.

I don't think they would be appropriate to use as snake gaiters as they are pretty lightweight. But for keeping snow off of my pant legs, they worked pretty well.

They did not come with any instructions. Just the two gaiters that appear to be identical. It is not as if they are real complicated, so instructions were really not necessary.

No comments: