Sunday, January 1, 2012

Leland Path - Roscoe

I have seen this referred to as the Roscoe Main Street Bike Path. I ran across it while hiking the Stone Bridge Trail so I checked it out using Google Earth. It is a very useful tool. The path starts at Main Street and Elevator Road in Roscoe, goes thru Roscoe and connects up to the Stone Bridge Trail just south of the Burr Oak Road trail head. Google Earth says it is 1.36 miles long. That does not count some of the little spurs that run off it that I did not look into.

Updated 1-8-12: There is another path that continues to the northeast from Elevator Road/Main St that connects up with the Stone Bridge Trail. It is called the Kinstone Path.

It is a paved trail the whole way except for a very short chunk that uses the access road to the water tower to go a couple hundred feet to get to the foot bridge that connects to the Stone Bridge Trail.

They tend to wind around a lot but you could conceivably start at the Rock River on the Hononegah Path and go all the way to the eastern edge of Boone County by stitching together these existing trails. It would be a long walk.



I copied this from a document I found online at the Roscoe Chmaber of Commerce. So it might be that the official name of this path is the Leland Path. I would link to the document at the Chamber website but my browser claims it is a damaged file and won't open it directly. I had to open it from the archive at Google.

Leland Path
This path links Hononegah Trail and Kin-Wood Path with the Stone Bridge Trail. The path begins south of Elevator Rd. down Main Street through Roscoe then east past Leland Park to the Stone Bridge Trail.

I have never heard of the Kin-Wood path, and a Google search finds no other relevant references to it. I sent an email to the chamber asking about it. Based on my luck with sending inquiries via web forms I would say my chances of getting any reply at all are not very good, but you never know.

ETA 1-8-12
I took this picture of the sign where the trail starts. It is indeed the Leland Path so I changed the title of this post.

I have not gotten a response back from the Roscoe Chamber. No surprise there. The other path that heads north and east from where this path starts has a sign that says it is the Kinstone trail. Maybe that is what they meant instead of Kinwood.

No comments: