Saturday, May 12, 2012

Belleville ICW Boots Update

Update to
[copied from a review I did at Amazon]
I got mine elsewhere back in Sept of 2010. I was looking for something to go hiking and walking in during the winter months that had some good ankle support. Mine are Bellevilles. I don't know if there is all that much difference in brands. The instructions said not to wear them below 10 degrees F. It only rarely gets that cold around here, and if it gets a whole lot colder than that I am staying inside. I know I have worn them down to around 5 degrees F. I never found my feet getting cold, but I was in nearly constant motion and that makes a difference.  
My boots came with two pairs of booties. I had never worn boots with this style of booties before, but they work well. My feet seem to sweat a lot even in the winter and the sweat wicks right into the booties and away from my feet. 
I usually wear them with a pair of thin liner socks and boot socks. I find them pretty comfortable, if maybe a little heavy.  
I love the ankle support. My ankles appreciate it too, especially on rough terrain. 
I typically wear them on my daily 2+ mile walks with the beagle once it gets cool enough to warrant doing so, and on our hiking excursions during that part of the year. They have proven to be water proof, as evidenced by multiple creek crossings. Once, just to prove to myself that they were waterproof, I stood in a creek in about 5 or 6 inches of water for several minutes. The longest hike I wore them on was just under 12 miles.  
The booties have developed some holes in them over time, but I have not bothered to replace them. 
I sometimes wear them in warmer weather if I go hiking someplace where I know I will be in a lot of water, as my other boots I wear hiking are not water proof. 
The tread is surprisingly good in the typical snow, ice, slush and mud I run across. I also wear them while shoveling snow and operating the snow blower.  
I have worn them 2 full seasons now. I am pretty sure they have well over 1000 miles on them, and they are still going strong. No unusual wear patterns on the soles. No failures at all. Even the original laces are still going strong. 
I have pictures on my blog, but Amazon does not appear to allow links to such things.

No comments: