Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Farm and Fleet Work n' Sport Work Boot Socks

Work n' Sport seems to be a Farm and Fleet house brand for clothing and shoes. I have bought a number of items over the years in this brand and generally found them to be a good value.
Photobucket
I have not tried this particular style of sock before. I have had several socks fail on me recently so I needed some new ones. Thought I would try these so I picked them up on my way home from work 5-10-12. They were about $7.50 including tax for one package of two pair.

The package says they are 64% acrylic, 28% nylon, 6% polyester, and 4% spandex. Oddly, that adds up to 102%. Must have rounded up a couple of the figures. The package claims all kinds of features on the back of the package including anti-microbial treatment.
Photobucket
The first thing I noticed when I put them on was they are really designed around short, ankle high style boots. They are not tall enough to extend to the top of an 8" or 10" tall boot. That will work fine for me for daily wear as I have ankle top boots for daily wear, but might not work for hiking where I have taller boots to get better ankle support.
Photobucket
I have since worn both pairs I got. They are comfy, although they feel like they bunch up some in the toe area. I think this is just the extra padding there. It is not uncomfortable, just noticable. I did not find the supposed arch support of any real value. I did not even really notice it. There is some extra padding in the toe area, but whether it would be helpful in a steel toed boot is doubtful. It just seemed to bunch up on me. I have never found any need for extra padding in the toe area in a steel toed boot that is sized properly anyway.

I couldn't tell you if the cooling channels did anything either, although the socks did seem to wick away whatever sweat I had very well and my feet did seem cooler. Maybe not a good choice for winter wear.

While they are good socks, I probably won't buy any more of them, mostly due to the short height, which is not suitable for the boots I often wear, although a taller version of the same style might be fine. I will wear them some more and see before buying any additional socks. I am a little nervous about how warm they would be in the winter.

Incidentally, I did wear them with my hot weather boots for today's 2+ mile walk with the beagle. The top of the sock is about an inch below the top of the boot, but the liner sock underneath it that I usually wear with boots extends about an inch above the top of the boot, so it is sort of usable with these boots. I may try them on a hike some time just to see how they work on longer walks.

They are labeled as made in the USA.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Bob! I work at Blain Supply, Inc and we stumbled across your post and absolutely love it! We appreciate your comments and will be sure to pass them along to the buyer.

We noticed you were looking for some higher work socks, and found these ones that might work for you:
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/548029-mens_all_weather_over_the_calf_sock.html

If we can answer any other questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-210-2370

Thank you again for this great post!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Minimum order quantity (MOQ) has always been cared about by our clients. No matter wholesale or custom products, we all have a minimum order quantity. wholesale boot socks