Monday, May 7, 2012

Poncho AAR

I got another reminder this morning of how bad ponchos are as rain gear. I took the dog out for our normal morning walk and 2 or 3 blocks from home it started to sprinkle on us. I usually bring my fanny pack on our morning walks as it has two water bottle holders and I find it the most convenient way to carry them. I keep one of the cheap emergency ponchos in my fanny pack for cases like this, so I dug it out and put it on, and kept going. It was only a light rain but the sleeves of my nylon windbreaker got soaked pretty quick. As the rain steadily increased my pants below the knees got soaked. Rain just rolled off the bottom of the poncho and right onto my pants. This has been my experience with ponchos as rain gear every time I have every actually used one in the rain. Not a big deal as it was 60ish and little in the way of wind. I just have not come across something better than this type of poncho that is packable in a small space. Incidentally, my leather cowboy hat was pretty much soaked despite being given the mink oil treatment just yesterday. That has also been my experience with leather as well. On the bright side, the parts of me that were not soaked stayed pretty dry.

No comments: