Saturday, November 19, 2011

Blaze orange gear from Farm and Fleet

Some stuff I picked up today at Farm and Fleet. Not the best pictures.

Remington reflective safety vest for Wilma. $9. Fran actually picked this item out. I had not really planned on getting anything for Wilma. I figured she will be with me and I should be pretty obvious.


Hat band for me. $7. Brand name is hotfingers. Another tag on the product says it is an official licensed mossy oak product. One side is blaze orange, the other is camo.

Safety vest for me. $5 or $6. Brand name is Hunter's Specialties.

Not planning to go hunting but we are going hiking in Avon Bottoms one day next week and it is gun deer season in WI. I do not want someone to think Wilma or I am a deer.

Besides being inexpensive, all this stuff is lightweight and takes up little room in a pack.

ETA: 11-24-11
I got a chance to try out this stuff yesterday. Worked ok. I had to make a slight mod to Wilma's vest. She wears a harness instead of a collar that it is designed for so I needed to add a hole where her leash goes. I just used scissors and duct tape. Seemed to work OK. My wife promised to sew the edges over next time she has her sewing machine out.




Wilma's vest did not collect any burrs, and did not snag on the many brambles and briars we encountered. It was easy to get on and stayed on without any trouble the whole hike (5+ hours).

The earband worked fine. I wore it on the outside of my Elmer Fudd hat.

The vest I got for me worked OK too. It was not big enough to go over my pack and still close in the front, so I wore it open. It did collect a lot of burrs, but no snags.

The pouch that came with Wilma's vest is large enough to stow all three of them in so that is where they are right now. I left them in my day pack for now.

No comments: