Friday, November 11, 2011

Suger River Alder Forest Preserve 11-5-11

Wilma and I were here back in the winter and were not able to get up to the far NW corner of the preserve due to the snow. Our previous visit. I had hoped to be able to get there this time, but I dawdled too much and we did not have enough time before it got dark so we just walked the main trail loop with a side trip up a maintenance road into WI. About 4.25 miles.

I still want to see how hard or easy it is to get into Avon Bottoms (WIDNR land) that abuts SRAFP in the NW corner of the preserve.

Park map from the web site.

Park map as posted on the trail. Much more detail.

GPS trek. I don't recall crossing Haas Road as the trek shows I did. I looked at the google satellite images and it appears it really is there to service the homes and a farm that are along the river, but it does not appear it goes up into WI as shown. The road shown up in the NW corner of the park does not seem to exist. There is a gravel road inside the park. it goes all the way to the WI border and conencts with beacon light Road in WI. You can see where we walked due north along it and then came back.



ETA 11-12-11: I created the video compilation in a lesser resolution than normal. Not worth going back and redoing it. On the way home we saw a good sized deer with a nice rack on him.

Bee hives we saw in a field. I emailed the district and asked if that was what they were and they confirmed it.

No comments: