Saturday, November 19, 2011

Remington 22LR Target

This is the box it comes in now. I have seen it multiple places like WalMart and Dicks. It is about $10/box of 100 at both places. I got this at Dicks recently.

This was purchased back in the mid-80s. Note the different colors of the box, even though it is called the same thing.

The stuff I bought back in the mid-80s was part of several cases I purchased back then to use as target ammo for shooting in bullseye leagues. I never had any issues whatsoever with it. It was more accurate than I am capable of shooting, always went bang, and always cycled properly in every gun I tried it in. I doubt if I had more than a handful of misfires across the several cases I shot over the years (some as recently as 4 or 5 years ago - so it was pretty old).

The newer stuff is about the same except that I had 12 misfires so far out of the two boxes of ammo I bought. When it goes bang it is good stuff, but, that many misfires is just not acceptable to me. Most of the misfired rounds would discharge if I rotated the round and hit the primer at a different spot, so my guess is there are occasionally places where the primer compound is missing in the rim. One round I tried 4 times and had four very solid strikes without it discharging.

A friend I shoot with told me he had the same problem with it.

I have to rate it unacceptable, especially at the price. It is priced as a premium product but it just isn't a premium product in my mind. If it was promo ammo like Thunderbolt, I could accept a few misfires. Not at these prices.

ETA: Saw it at Farm and Fleet later today - $5.89/100.

ETA 12-10-11:
Saw it at WalMart the other day. They have lowered the price to under $6. Wonder if someone told them the Farm and Fleet price.

ETA 12-30-11:
Yesterday I noticed the WalMart price had gone up to $6.89.

No comments: