Sunday, March 3, 2013

Gerber Bear Grylls Folding Sheath Knife

A Meritline deal. $9 shipped. I ordered it in mid February and it showed up a couple weeks later from overseas.

Despite the "sheath" in the description, it came without one. I did not really expect to get one. It is a pocket knife. The offer said you might get one with or without the partially serrated edge. Mine came with it. The end of the box is labeled "Scout" and model "30-000386".

It appears to be the genuine article. The box looks authentic and so does the knife.
Photobucket
It is kind of a standard low end folding knife in some respects. It appears the body is all plastic. But, there is not much play in the blade when it is locked in the extended position. There is jimping on both the spine of knife blade and the back of the handle for gripping. And some on the front side as well. The curve on the handle and spot for the first finger works pretty good for me.
Photobucket
The clip seems secure and has two screws so it can be removed. It only has the one position though as best I can tell. There is a hole that a lanyard could be installed in if desired. The locking mechanism releases pretty easily, and the thumb stud worked well for one handed opening.
Photobucket
It came with this pocket survival guide. A single page of survival instructions printed on glossy paper that was folded up inside the box. Might be some useful stuff there.
Photobucket
I did some light testing. The sucker came very sharp. It cuts paper and shaves hair off my arm.
Photobucket
The back of the box says "made in USA". Nothing on the knife or the box to indicate its origins or what steel the blade is made of. It came in an envelope with a return address in Singapore.

I am not sure I like the orange color, but I guess if I were to drop it in the snow it would be easier to find. I am also not a fan of serrated blades, but it might come in handy for cutting rope or cardboard, not that I do a lot of rope or cardboard cutting.

I call it a $9 bargain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fake Fake ones come in a box

Unknown said...

I do believe that these bear grylls knife are perfect for outdoors survival trips.