Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lensatic compass

I got this as a midnightbox.com special. It was advertised as "Army Green US Cammenga Military Lensatic Compass". If was <$6 shipped. For the price I was skeptical that it had anything to do with Cammenga, but I figured it was worth a shot.

 The box was a big clue that it might not be a Cammenga. It does claim to be "Your direction protector" right on the box.
Photobucket
The compass itself looks like a decent enough inexpensive Chinese made lensatic compass. Not much different than what you might find at WalMart or other big box stores, or on eBay.
Photobucket
The scale on it reads 1:25000 meters. It has a bubble magnifier on the rotating ring over the needle. I guess so you can get a more precise reading.  The needle does point north and south and seems pretty well damped. Appears to be liquid filled. No bubble that I could see.

But, it is not a Cammenga. I contacted the company and they responded that they were fighting with the vendor over this item, but would process a full Paypal refund. The Paypal refund came through a few days later.

No comments: