Monday, December 5, 2011

12-4-11 Rock Cut State Park Rt173 to Horse Camp

We ran across a tree that had fallen over a trail. I sent an email to the park super about it and included this map I took a picture of that I marked showing where the tree was. this neat new map was posted in the horce camp. It has all the trail marker numbers on it. I asked for a copy of the new map as well. I might be able to use the photo but a nice clean copy would be nice.


GPS said 4.05 miles. Sounds about right - 2 hours and 8 minutes. It was mid 40s and pretty windy in the open areas. Glad I brought my gloves. We have hiked this area a number of times. Plenty of different routes to take. Nice trails. It is about 2.5 miles from the route 173 parking lot to the horse camp and back by the most direct route. But we were in no hurry so took a less direct route.


I also noted the bathrooms were locked at the horse camp. I asked the park super in the email about that as well. I have emailed him before with questions and he is pretty good about responding promptly. I will update the blog entry when he replies.

ETA 12-6-11: I got a reply back today. He indicated "we will get the tree soon, sorry the privies will stay closed until the skiers get in there". He did not elaborate as to why the outhouses are presently closed.

He added "With the state of the state I would be surprised that we would print the new maps, the new trend is to have them available on the web, you can download the maps on the DNR web site and go to recreation areas and look for Rock Cut. Sorry you need to print your own".

I pointed out the new map is not on the website to download. I can use the photo if I can't get a clean copy.

I would add that they do a good job of keeping the park up, even with the tight budgets the state has had of late.

No comments: