Thursday, December 8, 2011

What's in my Outdoor Products fanny pack? 12-7-11

I don't pretend this is anything special, but over time this is what ended up in my fanny pack.



I left the house on our morning walk without my hanky this morning, so the spare in the outer pocket came in handy.

I know this is not the greatest fanny pack, and the torn stitches show that. However, I wanted a fanny pack that would carry two 1 quart or 1 liter water bottles, and this is what I have been able to find.

I had to replace the ibuprofen yesterday as my wife used them a few months ago when she ran out, and I had forgotten to replace them.

I also noticed that my little bottle of DEET is missing. Wonder where it went off to?

The OTC meds in my FAK

ETA: 12-9-11
I realized this morning that the super glue I used to have in there is gone as well. I had an extra tube so I replaced it. I put the sunscreen, super glue, and Carmex into a small ziplock style bag just in case one of them opens up. Less mess if it is inside a bag.

Something I wrote elsewhere.
I have been thinking of adding some stuff. maybe a small multi-tool - Gerber Clutch size. But I am not a huge fan of the pilers on them. They look a little flimsy. But maybe in that size just about anything is going to be a little flimsy.

I am not real worried about DEET this time of year but I need to get another bottle for when it is handy.

The stitching failure aggravated me some but the repairs have held up well.

Virtually everything in there is stuff that got put in because of experience. Except the fire kit. That is mostly just because it is cool. I cannot recall that I have ever found the need to start a fire while on the trail or walking the dog.

Something else that I just realized is missing. A tube of super glue. I think I used it and forgot to replace it.

Experience has made me afraid of three things - the dark and the rain, and getting lost.

I keep a small flashlight on my keychain in my pocket, and a backup in the pack. One time I had to use the backlight on my cell phone to get out of the woods when I stayed too long.

I have gotten wet and quite cold a few times so I refuse to go anywhere near the woods without a poncho. The one I have in this pack is basically a one time use item, but it will get me back to the car a lot less wet than if I did not have it.

I am not a compass fanatic, but a couple of button compasses like the zipper pull and the one on the whistle are adequate to get me straightened out when I can't see the sun and get turned around. I didn't show it because I don't keep it in the pack but I bring a printed map with me when I go in the woods that is kept inside a 1 gallon zip lock bag. It amazes me how fast a map can become a soggy mess if it is unprotected. Just sweating on it can make it all but unusable.

I am rarely more than a few miles from civilization where I go hiking, so this kind of kit seems adequate to me.

I have a folding knife and cell phone seperate from the pack that also goes with me.

No comments: