Tuesday, December 6, 2011

SS Thermos water bottle

I don't think it is an actual Thermos brand.


My wife got this as a gift. She was not using it so "loaned" it to me. I have been using it for coffee. At first it was a little odd to drink hot coffee from a straw, but I got used to it pretty quick.

It does not have a brand name on it. It is a 24 ounce bottle. Don't know where it was purchased or how much it cost.

I have not used it for anything cold, but it does seem to work pretty well at keeping hot coffee at least warm enough to drink. I bring it with me in the car when we go hiking, and 2 or 3 hours later the coffee is still drinkable. I may even try bringing it on the trail with me when I am using my day pack. Much more convenient than a conventional Thermos with a screw on cup, as it can be used one handed.

I have only used it perhaps a dozen times. No leaks.

I doubt it can keep coffee hot for 12 hours as the label claims. Six hours it did pretty good though, and that was sitting in the back of the Jeep while Wilma and I hiked with a low 40s temperature.

ETA 12-12-11:
I took it with us yesterday. It sat in the car for about 6.5 hours while we hiked. Outside temperature ranged from low 30s to low 40s. Coffee was warm but not hot. Still drinkable though. I might have gotten better performance out of it by filling it with boiling water first to pre-warm it. I will have to try that sometime and see if it makes that much difference. It was laying on its side the whole time. No leaks.

ETA 12-30-13:
It sprung a leak not long after I wrote the previous snippet. I think it failed in February of 2012. I was not able to repair the leak. Seems like an O-ring split or something. So I have to give it a big fail.

No comments: