Thursday, December 29, 2011

Crucial laptop memory upgrade


I bought a 1 GByte memory upgrade for my wife's Dell Inspiron 1150 that has been pretty slow of late. The Crucial web site says the computer supports 2 GB of RAM, 1 GB in each slot. Dell says it supports a total of 1 GB. Someone asked in their tech support forum about this and Crucial replied that the PC actually does support upto 2 GB, and that they tried it. Maybe it works with two 1 GB modules, and not a 1 GB module in one slot and a 256MB module in the other.

I bought a single 1 Gb module, thinking to leave one of the existing 256MB modules in place for a total of 1.25 GB.

Well, no such luck. Just will not boot that way. Boots fine with a single 1 GB module.

I have to rate the tech support as moderately sucky, but the RAM seems to work OK.

ETA 12-30-11
I put the two 256 MByte modules that I pulled out of the computer up for sale on eBay. We shall see if they sell or not.

1 comment:

IBM Laptop Memory Upgrade said...

Upgrading your laptop should start with the RAM module and the processor itself, although it's more likely for a user to change the RAM module for a better one rather than the core of the gadget.