Saturday, December 31, 2011

Wright Bacon Ends and Pieces


Another find at WalMart that I first looked at because of the price. It has gone up since I first bought it but I think now it is $7.99 for 3 pounds. I especially appreciate the low sugar content compared with other bacons. The label says 2 ounce servings are 0 carbs. Because there is some sugar in bacon I automatically assume a 0 carb serving is really 0.5 grams of carbs (the FDA allows food manufacturers to round down the amount of carbs per serving so if it is less then 0.5 grams they label it as 0).

It ends up being 0.25 grams of carbs per ounce which is pretty low for bacon.

The pieces are irregular. I find that they cook up very well in the microwave. Sometimes I nuke them first, followed by a short stint in the frying pan.

Often there are large chunks of meat to be found in a package that are quite good.

I like the flavor of this bacon, and the irregularity does not bother me any, although it does present somewhat of a challenge if you want to fry it. It fries up fine but the irregular sizes mean you have to watch it and turn the pieces at different intervals, and some pieces get done a lot sooner than others.

No comments: