Wednesday, December 28, 2011

American Legion memorial service

Yesterday I attended a memorial service at an American Legion hall. Dick was a guy I did not know real well, but instantly liked the first time I met him. His daughter has been a friend of my wife for many years. We have been to visit Dick and his wife a number of times. I always felt welcome there.

My wife tells many stories of the fun they had there back when she and her friend were a "little" younger.

One time when we were there Dick taught Wilma how to go up and down the basement stairs. For some reason Wilma just did not like stairs, and Dick apparently decided she should learn to use stairs, and so he taught her. Did not take him long.

Dick served in the USAF back in the 50s, and joined the American Legion post in the mid 80s. His wife once served as the president of the ladies auxiliary there.

I did not know quite what to expect, as I had never been to a legion service before. The service was simple, and I appreciated the deep respect shown by the other legionnaires for a comrade who had passed on.

Later, I wondered around the hall. Lots of memorabilia. I think part of the legion is about remembering, and the memorabilia helps us remember.

I never served in the military. But I appreciate the service of those who did. Veterans are our fellow citizens who put their lives on hold and on the line for the rest of us. Some went voluntarily, others got drafted. I am not sure it matters much how they came to join the military. They answered the call when it came and some paid an awful price.

It somehow seems fitting that when they are gone, their fellow veterans should gather together to send them on their way to their next post.

No comments: