Sunday, May 5, 2013

2013_05_04 Rockford Rotary Forest Preserve Hike


Wilma and I have been here once before. It is not a large place nor is there a large trail system but there is a lot of elevation change.The nature of the woods allows for off trail exploration. Wilma enjoyed the river.

The map that is posted at the front gate and the map from kishwild.com both promise a trail along the river but it appears that it may have fallen into the river if it ever actually existed. It starts about where the maps show it but rapidly vanishes along the river.

There are some trail segments that clearly exist that are not shown NW of the youth camping area, and some old trails that we explored a little that got brushy after awhile and were pretty hard to explore tied to a beagle.

My GPS batteries died on the way back from the river and I neglected to bring spares as the spare were in my day pack and I brought the fanny pack. O well. I mostly use it for logging miles and the track taken. Tough to get lost in this place as small as it is and bounded by the river all along the north boundary.


No comments: