Sunday, May 26, 2013

Distillery Conservation Area Hike 5-25-13

Wilma and I have been here several times before. I have not been able to find two of the three primitive camping areas. I thought in the past that maybe I just missed the trails to them. Now I think the trails that go to two of them do not actually exist.

There is a bit of a maze of trails up in the far NE corner of the park that is not accurately represented in the district's map that I scanned. It also does not show the second set of power lines that run across the north edge of the park. There is a set that run more or less parallel to the river that are two wooden poles, and another set that runs east to west across the north end of the park that are steel towers, although most of it appears to be outside of the park.

I found a map that seems to better reflect what is actually there trail wise on Kishwild.com.I added a few things like the power lines and the yellow gate to it and posted it. I think it is probably the best trail map for this location as the district's map seems really off.

We saw a couple of turkeys in the parking lot when we pulled up. Nothing in the way of notable critters during our hike though. Lots of song birds, geese, and ducks.


No comments: