Monday, May 20, 2013

Silver Nugget Firestarters

My wife bought these last year, but I didn't use them until this year. They appear to be wax impregnated cardboard. They start easily with any flame and burn for quite some time. An easy way to get a fire started. I think they might work for starting charcoal as well. Have not tried it for that. Probably could make something very similar with some wax and cardboard. I think they were on clearance when Fran bought them but are normally almost $5 a package. Kind of pricey for my taste for regular use. 


ETA 5-21-13
Some comments I made elsewhere.

 Its really a combination of tinder and kindling.  
Easy to start with just about any flame.  
 To me it is a far better choice for emergency fire starting than trying to get something started with a firesteel and home made or found tinder if you are cold and wet.  
 I did not try shaving bits off of it to try and start it with a firesteel.  
 Any match or lighter starts it right up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pricey and bulky looking. My tinder cubes are about the size of sugar cubes and burn for several minutes. Ido agree with the whole found tinder and fire steel thing. Why bother? A mini bic and a few of my cubes and I'm good for a weekend.
Snake Doctor