Monday, May 27, 2013

ICW boot update - DIY repair attempts

4-26-13
A crack developed in the sole of the right boot.

I decided to try and glue it back together with Permatex. No idea if it will work or not. 

You can see the crack in this picture.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I filled in the crack with the Permatex and set it aside to cure. I set it upside down so the weight of the boot would keep the crack more or less closed while it cured.
Photobucket
4-28-13
The Permatex did not work. I took Wilma for a 7+ mile hike yesterday and the repair failed. Most of the Permatex had fallen off, and what didn't I just took off.
Photobucket
So off I went to Menards for some Shoe Goo and tried that.
Photobucket

Photobucket
5/2/13
I did not use the boots until yesterday. The directions on the Shoe Goo package suggested it might take as much as 48 hours to fully cure. So far, the Shoe Goo repair has held.

I added some heel savers I bought off eBay. I wish I had them added when I got the heels replaced, but I listened to the shoe repairman who advised against it. This is the right boot. The heel was wearing directly on the back so that is where I put the heel saver. Only one 3.27 mile walk on this set of heel savers. Not much of a test.

Photobucket
The right one again.
Photobucket
The left one. The wear is off to the side so that is where the heel saver went. Might be a little late on this one. I might see if I can grind it down some toward the side that is not worn.
Photobucket
5/4/13
It failed after a second day of walking on it. I figured I would try the Shoe Goo again. This time instead of trying to glue the crack closed I decided to try and fill it in some so I used a clamp to open the crack up just a little while the glue cured.
Photobucket
Here is a side view.
Photobucket
I am going top let it cure until Tuesday morning and try it again.

The repair held up longer than the previous repair, but it also failed.

 5-18-13
I figured I would try one more repair. This time with superglue. I used Harbour Freight brand.
Photobucket

Photobucket
I will let it sit for a day or two and see what happens. It certainly looks secure. If this does not work, I may well be forced to take it back to the shoe repair guy.

This repair also failed. I think the stress at the crack from bending is just to much for the glue to hold. I may have to take it in and have it professionally fixed.

No comments: